Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Unit #4

1.Describe your experience. Did you find it beneficial? Difficult? Why or why not? Would you recommend this to others? Why or why not? I had one of those days when I sat down to listen to the Loving Kindness exercise. I had a very busy day, very busy. When I finally was able to sit down and listen to the exercise I was super tired. I started the exercise not being able to concentrate, my mind was going a mile a minute. I had aches in my knees and lower back. Once I started to relax and really focus on her instructions, voice, and the water background I felt like I was in a trance. I really just melted into my bed. I was so relaxed! At one point I was concentrating on the water noise and nothing else. It was hard for me to really open my heart and give love the way she described. I thought about my husband, and of course I love him but not sure what exactly to think. I thought about how I am luckly to have him and we have a great life. I think I was too tired maybe to really relax and imagine all this stuff without falling asleep. I was too relaxed. I actaully ended up falling asleep at the end when she stopped giving instructions. Not sure how long I was out for but when I woke I felt calmer, much calmer then before I started. I would recommend this to someone. I think everyone should experience this along with forms of meditation. It's a great expereince to have. If I was able to do this exercise more I could probably concentrate and really experience it the way it is suppose to be. 2.What is the concept of "mental workout"? What does the research indicate are the proven benefits of a mental workout? How can you implement mental workouts to foster your psychological health? The idea of mental workots are to strengthen your brain to train your brain to think positive, to love, to be kind, to be compassionate. Mental workouts give us health, happinness, and wholeness. Like our bodies we have to stay on top of the fitness for those muscles along with our brains. I think I generally a happy person but I do get stressed easly and tend to worry a lot. So I think mental workouts would help be overcome those feelings of stress and worry.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    I love the name of your blog. Thank you for sharing about your relationship with your husband. I feel the same way about mine. I too did the exercise toward the end of the day. I was thinking to myself, “what a pain”, this exercise is 15 minutes long. By the end, I was very relaxed and thankful that I did the entire exercise. I agree with you that without practice we will never fully understand or get proficient in mind exercises without the pain of the practice. Have a great week!
    Nancy Gilliam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I did the exercise towards the end of my day too. I wasn't as tired as you but I had a hard time coming out of it because I was so relaxed. I also wasn't quite sure what to think. How are we supposed to have compassion to a thought? Anyways it was worth doing and I'm glad it helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I know the feeling of being so relaxed to the point that you fall to sleep. I feel that when you meditate and fall to sleep, you sleep much better. I really did not have a hart time bringing the sufferings of my family and close friends. I did struggle with the ones that have hurt me in some way, it seems that I still need to work on my forgiveness so I can let go of things. Great post

    ReplyDelete