Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Unit 7

Explain how mindfulness or meditation has fostered an increase in your psychological or spiritual wellness. How can you continue to apply these practices in your life to foster greater health and wellness?


Last night I did the Meeting Aesclepius mp3 . I was super stressed and tired, I had worked from 7:30 to 6 pm and have an hour drive. I had to cook diner and really just wanted to sit on the couch and relax. Instead I went upstairs and laid down on my yoga mat with a small pillow under my head. About 5 minutes into the meditation I was super relaxed. I for some reason had a hard time visualizing someone at first. Tons of people went through my head and it was hard to pick one person. Once I found a person I was very relaxed. After I felt awesome, like my stressful day had just melted away. If I would have sat on the couch and watched TV I would have felt worse, not any better. After I was done with meditation I decided to do some stretching and do some things around the house. I was happy and had energy to do this. Again if I would have sat in front of the TV that is where I would have stayed till I went to bed. Last night really helped me figure out that this is something my mind and body need after long hard days. So I will be utilizing meditation more from now on. I actually signed up for yogadownload.com and they have a lot of audio mediation's. I am excited to start taking care of my psychological needs.


One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" (p.477). How does this apply to the health and wellness professional? Do you have an obligation to your clients to be developing your health psychologically, physically, and spiritually? Why or why not? How can you implement psychological and spiritual growth in your personal life?


I believe this saying is saying that you cannot teach someone to be health, mentally or physically if you are not yourself. If you are struggling with mental health, how are you going to educate your clients on whole health? You can educate yourself in whole health but if you don't practice it yourself than you are truly not learning anything. I do however believe that you can be indifferent to spiritual beliefs in order to educate in health. If I believe in Budha and you believe in Jesus that does not matter, it's spirituality that makes someone whole.


I believe that meditation will help guide me through both psychological and spiritual growth. I have learned so much already and I just started. Meditation has just made my mind and heart clearer and I am able to start listening to what I have to say and what I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment